The overarching objective of all science instruction in Amherst County Public Schools is to create and lead an environment where every child is questioning, exploring and discovering new things every day. Click on any of the links below to learn more about science and its importance in ACPS.
Goals of Amherst County Public Schools Science Program:
The purposes of scientific investigation and discovery are to satisfy humankind’s quest for knowledge and understanding and to preserve and enhance the quality of the human experience. Therefore, as a result of science instruction, students will be able to achieve the following objectives:
1. Develop and use an experimental design in scientific inquiry.
2. Use the language of science to communicate understanding.
3. Investigate phenomena using technology.
4. Apply scientific concepts, skills, and processes to everyday experiences.
5. Experience the richness and excitement of scientific discovery of the natural world through the collaborative quest for knowledge and understanding.
6. Make informed decisions regarding contemporary issues, taking into account the following:
• public policy and legislation;
• economic costs/benefits;
• validation from scientific data and the use of scientific reasoning and logic;
• respect for living things;
• personal responsibility; and
• history of scientific discovery.
7. Develop scientific dispositions and habits of mind including:
• demand for verification;
• respect for logic and rational thinking;
• consideration of premises and consequences;
• respect for historical contributions;
• attention to accuracy and precision; and
• patience and persistence.
8. Develop an understanding of the interrelationship of science with technology, engineering and mathematics.
9. Explore science-related careers and interests.